Email: [email protected]
Shomen is an experimental ecologist and has largely conducted research in the field of animal behavior. His research interest lies in understanding the processes that affect the structure and dynamics of ecological communities.
A significant amount of his research career has focused on studying how stress (due to predation risk) affects behavioural and life-history decisions of organisms. More recently he has been studying the ecology of mosquitoes, testing how different aquatic predators affect mosquito larval survivorship and egg laying decisions.
- Ph. D (Ecology and Evolution) Ben-Gurion University, Israel
- M. Sc. (Wildlife Sciences) Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun
- B.Sc. (Zoology) Fergusson College, Pune
Introduction to Biology, Ecology and Evolution, Animal Behaviour, Community Ecology, Biostatistics
Areas of Interest
Community Ecology, Disease Ecology, Conservation Biology, Migration Ecology, Biology Education for Teachers
- Mukherjee, S., Heithaus, M., Trexler, J., Mukherjee, J. R. and J. Vaudo (2014). Perceived risk of predation affects life-history responses in Gambusia holbrooki but not in Heterandria formosa. PLoS ONE 9(2): e88832. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0088832
- Mukherjee, S. and M. Heithaus. (2013) Dangerous prey and daring predators: a review. Biological Reviews 88:550-563.
- Embar, K., Kotler, B. P. and S. Mukherjee (2011). Risk management in optimal foragers: the effect of sightlines and predator type on patch use, time allocation, and vigilance in gerbils. Oikos 120:1657-1666.
- Berger-Tal, O., Mukherjee, S., Kotler, B. P. and J. S. Brown (2010). Complex state-dependent game between owls and gerbils. Ecology Letters 13:302-310.
- Kotler, B. P., Brown J. S., Mukherjee, S., Tal-Berger, O. and A. Bouskila (2010). Moonlight Avoidance in Gerbils Reveals a Sophisticated Interplay among Time Allocation, Vigilance, and State-Dependent Foraging. Proceeding of the Royal Society, B, London 277:1469-1474
- Jhala, Y.V., Mukherjee, S., Shah, N., Chauhan, K., Dave, C. V., Meena, V. and K. Banerjee (2009). Home ranges and habitat preference of female lions (Panthera leo persica) in Gir forest, Gujarat, India. Biodiversity and Conservation 18:3383-3394.
- Mukherjee, S., Zelcer, M. and B. P. Kotler (2009) Patch use in time and space for a meso-predator in a risky world. Oecologia 159:661-668.
- Click here for more Publications