Email: [email protected]
Paaritosh is an Assistant Professor at the School of Policy and Governance, Azim Premji University.
He completed his PhD in Economics from the Centre for the Study of Regional Development,
Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi. His doctoral work looked at the dynamics of work, technology
and skills in the automobile industry of the National Capital Region (NCR). Prior to joining the School,
he was working as a research fellow at the Centre for Sustainable Employment, Azim Premji
University. His areas of interest include trajectory of growth of industrial labour markets in India,
impact of labour laws on employment and processes of skill acquisition and upgradation. He is
currently working on the question of transitions in urban labour markets in India. He has previously
worked with the Aman Biradari Trust in New Delhi.
PhD (Economics) from Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi.
MPhil (Economics) from Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi.
MA (Development Studies) TISS, Mumbai.
BA (Hons) English, University of Delhi.
Areas of Interest
- Industrial labour markets in India.
- Skill, technology and human capital development
- Labour law regulations in India
- Transitions in urban labour markets.
- Critical Perspectives on Social Studies-2 (co taught)
- Policy Analysis
Publications and Writings
- Kesar, Surbhi, Rosa Abraham, Rahul Lahoti, Paaritosh Nath, and Amit Basole. "Pandemic,
Informality, and Vulnerability: Impact of COVID-19 on Livelihoods in India." Canadian,
Journal of Development Studies / Revue Canadienne Détudes Du Développement, 2021,1-
- Sood, Atul, and Paaritosh Nath. "Labour Law Changes Innocuous Mistakes or Sleight of
Hand." Economic and Political Weekly LV, no. 22 (2020): 33-37. Accessed February 15th,
- Nath, Paaritosh. "Employment Scenario and the Reservation Policy." Economic and Political
Weekly 54, no. 19 (May 11, 2019):56-61
- Nath, Paaritosh. "Labour Market Flexibility and Employment Growth in India’s Organise
Manufacturing Sector, 1990-2010." The Indian Journal of Labour Economics 57, no. 4 (2014):
- Sood, Atul, Paaritosh Nath, and Sangeeta Ghosh. "Deregulating Capital, Regulating Labour:
The Dynamics in the Manufacturing Sector in India." Economic and Political Weekly LXIX, no.
26-27 (June 28, 2014): 58-68.
- Nath, Paaritosh. "Purdah, Patriarchy and Accumulation." In Muslims in Urban India: Development and Exclusion. New Delhi: Concept, 2013
- Lahoti, Rahul, Amit Basole, Rosa Abraham, Surbhi Kesar, and Paaritosh Nath. "Hunger Grows as India's Lockdown Kills Jobs." In India and the Pandemic: The First Year, Essay from The India Forum. Hyderabad: Orient BlackSwan
- Nath, Paaritosh. Dalit Women’s Status of Employment and Earnings in Rural Punjab. Report. Institute for Development and Communication. Chandigarh, 2019
- Nath, P., Siddiqi, U and Sood, A. (2019) Thinking Growth or Thinking Employment. India Exclusion Report 2018-19. (5th ed.). (New Delhi: Yoda Press)
- Nath, Paaritosh, S. Nelson Mandela, and Aishwarya Gawali. "The Poorest Have Been Worst Hit by Pandemic." Hindustan Times. February 09, 2021. Accessed March 15, 2021.
- Nath, Paaritosh. "Pandemic, Labour Law Changes and Implications for Indian Working Class." June 29, 2020
- Abraham, Rosa, Amit Basole, Surbhi Kesar, Rahul Lahoti, and Paaritosh Nath. "Pandemic as a Lens: Identifying and Addressing Livelihood Vulnerabilities." Ideas For India. July 13, 2020. Accessed March 16, 2021.