Neethi's research interests engage in globalisation and labour, women's work, informal labour markets, everyday work politics, alternative labour movements, and other related themes. Her recently completed doctoral research employed the 'labour geography' framework to understand certain contemporary episodes around the new forms of labour control, conflict, and response, in Kerala.
Her work has been published in various Indian and international peer reviewed journals of repute. She is also keenly interested in writing on these themes in Malayalam.
Neethi was recipient of the Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowship 2011-2012, and as part of this, spent one period of her doctoral study at the University of Georgia in the United States.
- PhD Economics (Centre for Development Studies, JNU)
- MPhil Applied Economic (Centre for Development Studies, JNU)
- MA Economics, Dr John Matthai Centre, Calicut University
- Economics of Development
- Globalisation, Labour, and Development
- Introduction to Research
- Work, Labour, Informality
Areas of Interest
Globalisation and labour, women's work, informal labour markets, everyday work politics, alternative labour movements, and other general themes around labour and development, and livelihoods.
Publications and Writings
Neethi P. (2016) Globalization Lived Locally: A Labour Geography Perspective, Oxford University Press
Refereed / Other Journal Articles, and Book Chapters
Other Research Output
- Neethi, P. (2016) 'Labour Control and Responses: Women Workers in an Apparel Park in Kerala', in Raju and Jatrana (eds.), Women Workers in Urban India, Cambridge University Press, UK
Neethi P. (2014) ‘Home-Based Work and Issues of Gender and Space: A Case from Kerala’, Economic and Political Weekly, 49(17): 88-96
Neethi P. (2012) ‘Globalisation Lived Locally: Enquiries into Kerala’s Local Labour Control Regimes’, Development and Change, 43(6):1239-1263, Wiley Blackwell, UK
Neethi P. (2012) ‘Globalisation Lived Locally: A Labour Geography Perspective on Control, Conflict and Response among Workers in Kerala’, Antipode, 44(3): 971-992, Wiley Blackwell, UK
Neethi P. (2008) ‘Contract Work in the Organised Manufacturing Sector: A Disaggregated Analysis of Trends and their Implications’, Indian Journal of Labour Economics, 51(4): 559–573
- Neethi P. (2013) ‘Some pictures of local labour in the time of globalisation’, Sanghaditha, 6(4), in Malayalam
- Neethi P. (2011) ‘Workplaces where Humaneness is Decimated’, Malayalam Varikha, 11th March, in Malayalam
- Neethi P. (2009) ‘Globalisation Lived Locally: New Forms of Control, Conflict and Response among the Labour In Kerala, Examined through a Labour Geography Lens’, Working Paper 417, CDS, Trivandrum
- Neethi P. (2008) ‘Globalisation and Labour Market Flexibility: A Case of Contract Workers in Organised Manufacturing Sector in India’, Malayalam Varikha, 28th June, in Malayalam
- Neethi P. (2007) ‘Globalisation and Labour Market Flexibility: A Case of Contract Workers in Organised Manufacturing Sector in India’,unpublished MPhil dissertation submitted to Jawaharlal Nehru University