MD. Jawaid Hussain
Jawaid has a Ph. D. and a Master's degree in Education from Jamia Millia Islamia, New
Delhi. He also has a Bachelor's degree in Education from Aligarh Muslim University, and a
Master's and Bachelor's (Honours) degree in Botany from L. N. Mithila University,
Darbhanga. He has 12 years of teaching experience and has taught at all levels of school
education and teacher education.
Prior to joining APU, he had been working as an Assistant Professor with the Department of
Education (Central Institute of Education), University of Delhi for around four years where
he taught courses in the B. Ed. program. Earlier, he has served as an Assistant Professor at
Department of Educational Studies, Jamia Millia Islamia where he taught courses in M. Ed.
and M.Phil. programs and guided dissertations. He has also worked as a Lecturer in Science
Education with SCERT, Delhi, and has also taught Science in schools at Senior Secondary,
Secondary and Primary levels. He has been developing and teaching courses in Science
Education, Curriculum Studies, Teacher Education, and Philosophy of Education. He has also
been a Resource Person for various in-service training programs in Delhi and has also taught
Education related courses in programs offered by Jamia Millia Islamia and University of Delhi
through distance mode.
In his doctoral work, he studied the political (employment policies and teacher preparation
programmes), organizational (infrastructure and functioning), and social (human interactions
among administrators, teachers, and parents), contexts in which primary level teachers work
in the government run schools of rural Bihar. He also observed the classroom teaching of
EVS/Science, Mathematics, and Languages and made a comparison of the classroom
performance of regular teachers and para-teachers.
- Ph. D. (Education)
- M. Ed.
- M. Sc. (Botany)
- Pedagogy of Science
- Philosophical Perspectives in Education
Areas of Interest
- Philosophy and Sociology of Science
- Science Education
- Teacher Education
- Science Teacher Education
- Curriculum Studies
Publications and Writings
- Hussain, M. J. (2018). ‘Students and Teachers’ Images of Scientists: Pedagogic
Considerations for Preparing Inclusive Science Teachers’ in Gandhi, H, & Sharma, Y. G.
(eds.) Inclusive School. New Delhi: Shipra Publications. (In Press).
- Gupta, C. & Hussain, M. J. (2018). ‘Measuring Practices, Cultural Contexts and Power
Relations: A Study in Rural Bihar’. In Ladage, S. & Narvekar, S. (ed.). Proceedings of
epiSTEME-7: International Conference to review research on Science, Technology and
Mathematics Education (pp. 26-33). Mumbai: Homi Bhabha Centre for Science
Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, ISBN 978-93-86301-75-8.
- Hussain, M. J. & Gupta, C. (2017). ‘Commodifying Childhood: Early Childhood
Education in Neo-liberal Regimes’. The Signage, 4 (2), 109-117. ISSSN 2321 6530.
- Hussain, M. J. & Gupta, C. (2016). ‘Gender and Education: The Challenges of Neo-
Liberal Intervention’. The Signage, 4 (2), 109-117. ISSSN 2321 6530.
- Hussain, M. J. (2015). ‘Para teachers and Quality Elementary Education: Issues in
Evaluating Teaching Effectiveness’. The Signage, 3 (1), 28-36. ISSSN 2321 6530.
- Gupta, C. & Hussain, M. J. (2015). ‘Mathematical Experiences of Working Class Minority
Students: The Story of Shahid and Abid’ in Sehgal, A, Mukhopadhayay, R. & Rosily TL.
(Ed.). Inclusion: Rainbow or Chaos. New Delhi: Pinnacle Learning (ISBN: 978-93-83848-
- Hussain, M. J. (2015). "Amali Tahqeeq: Kya, Kyon, Aur Kaise? (Action Research: What,
Why, and When?)" in Ahmad, J. (Ed.). Amali Tahqeeq, Mutalla-e-Ahwaal aur Tahseeli
Aazmaish (Action Research, Case Study & Achievement Test). New Delhi: V. L. Media
Solutions ISBN No. 978-93-85068-38-6.
- Amin, N. & Hussain, M. J. (2014). ‘Jamia Primary School: The Forerunner of
Constructivist Pedagogy in Indian Education’. Jamia Journal of Education, 1 (1), 197-
208. ISSN 2348 1757.
- Gupta, C. & Hussain, M. J. (2014). 'Street Mathematics: A Study of Computational
Strategies Used by Young Vendors in Delhi'. Proceedings of National Conference on
Mathematics Pedagogy: Let's Mathematise—Lessons from Practice (pp. 180-95). New
Delhi: Jesus & Mary College, University of Delhi, e-ISBN 978-93-5156-280-1.
- Kujur, A. S. & Hussain, M. J. & (2014). ‘Culture at Stake: Schooling and Identity
Formation among Tribals’. Indian Journal of Dalit & Tribal Studies, 1 (2), 13-24. ISSN
- Yadav, D. S. & Hussain, M. J. (Ed.). (2012). Action Research in Elementary Schools:
Synthesis of Some Good Practices. New Delhi: District Institute of Education & Training,
Darya Ganj, Delhi.