1. What are the Undergraduate Degrees offered at Azim Premji University?
The Undergraduate degrees offered at Azim Premji University are:
2. Are the Undergraduate Degrees recognized by the UGC?
Azim Premji University is established in Karnataka by the Azim Premji University Act 2010 as a not for-profit University. The Undergraduate Programme offered by the University are recognized by The University Grants Commission (UGC) under section 22.
3. Does Azim Premji University offer its Undergraduate Programme in distance learning mode?
No, the Undergraduate Programme at Azim Premji University is a three-year, full time, residential programme based in Bengaluru. We also offer four-year, full time, dual-degree residential programme.
4. What is the medium of instruction for the Undergraduate Programme at the University?
The medium of instruction for Undergraduate Programme at the University is English.
5. What is the 3 year Undergraduate Programme curriculum?
The Undergraduate Programme has two components – Common Curriculum and Specializations.
The Common Curriculum brings all the students in the programme together to study areas and themes
that we believe are necessary to make learning effective, rich and satisfying.
Common Curriculum has 4 components - Foundations, Understanding India, Interdisciplinary studies
and Creative Expressions.
- Foundations: The foundation courses focus on strengthening the fundamental capacities of students to
become active and self-directed lifelong learners. These courses emphasize critical thinking, logical
reasoning and effective verbal and written communication.
- Understanding India: Who are we? Where have we come from and what does the future hold? These
questions about personal and collective identities and about the context in which we live are addressed
by courses which explore the exceptional cultural diversity of India.
- Interdisciplinary studies: Students have to choose any one from a range of interdisciplinary study areas
including (i) Development, (ii) Sustainability, (iii) Education, and (iv) Media, Society & Development.
- Creative Expressions: Students are introduced to the dimensions multimodal understanding through
work and play in diverse activities ranging from Art, Music, Craft, Theatre, Sports and other creative
Specialization involve study of a core discipline and also providing students the flexibility to study
further related disciplines to explore their interests. It helps build disciplinary knowledge and appreciate
the excitement of a subject and its applications. Emphasis is on active and participative learning.
Discussions, research projects and field visits are an important part of the curriculum.
- Humanities: An exploration of the diversity and richness of human history, thought and experience.
This Major comprises courses in History, Language, Literature and Philosophy.
- Economics: Gain a strong understanding of Indian Economy theory, tools of analysis and practical
applications of these skills to current economic issues.
- Sciences: Build a deeper understanding of the natural world and an appreciation of how this
understanding created today’s technology. Majors are offered in Physics and Biology.
- Mathematics: Launching in 2019.
Note: The list above is indicative. Interdisciplinary study areas available for each cohort will be
announced at the end of the second semester.
Click here to know more about Programme Structure
6. What is the 4 year Undergraduate Programme curriculum?
This is a 4 year, full time, dual degree programme in Science and Education that award a B.Sc. B.Ed.
degree. The dual degree programme consist of Common Curriculum, Disciplinary courses (Life sciences,
Physical Sciences or Mathematics) and Courses in Education.
This is a 120 credits programme spread across 8 Semesters. Students should earn 18 Credits from
Common Curriculum, 50 from the Science Specialization, 52 credits from Education (including 13 credits
from Field Practice.)
Students also have to go through a semester long field internship as part of the dual degree programme.
For the Science, the students can choose either:
- Life Sciences – with courses in Biology, Physics and Chemistry; or
- Physical Sciences – with courses in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry
- Mathematics – launching in 2019
For the Education major, students would develop:
- Educational judgement through perspective courses
- Skills to teach effectively through courses in curriculum and pedagogy
- A thorough grounding in school practice.
Click here to know more about the Programme structure.
7. What is the Honours programme?
The B.A. and B.Sc. programme offers Sciences (Physics, Biology or Mathematics), Social Sciences
(Economics) and Humanities streams. Students can take up additional research work and get an
Honours degree. Successful completion of the Honours pathway requires obtaining an additional 12
credits including 6 credits from work that leads to a thesis or research project. Honours project is
designed for Students to be able to apply their knowledge in a synthesized piece of work. An honours
thesis will involve working closely with a faculty member on a specific topic, developing a research
question and writing up a thesis. (Applicable only for the 3 year under graduate programme).
8. What is the typical daily class schedule at Azim Premji University for Undergraduate Programme?
While there are classroom sessions scheduled during the day, the programme has several other
activities – both academic and non-academic- planned out through the day and very often in the
evenings too. Every semester has a fixed schedule that includes classroom interactions, tutorials,
meetings with faculty and mentors, time for sports, creative pursuits, guest lectures and seminars.
Students also spend time on field projects and internship based on their Majors and academic needs.
Apart from allowing for deeper academic engagement, we believe that for our students, experiences
at their residences are a significant part of their learning; to belong to a community and see how the
space given to them is used to live and learn together.
9. Where are the details available about the Faculty who teach in this Programme?
The University currently has a faculty team of over 100, more than 60% of them with doctoral degrees and with diverse experience in teaching, research and field work within India and abroad. Many faculty members have personally contributed to the social sphere and their work has been on the cutting edge of education and development policy, research and practice.
The faculty at Azim Premji University forms a close-knit community, which provides students with many opportunities to get involved and work together on several projects during the three year’s programme.
Detailed faculty profiles are available at http://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/SitePages/school-of-liberal-studies-faculty.aspx
10. How are the Undergraduate Programme offered at Azim Premji University different from other similar programmes available at Universities and colleges across the country?
- The programme is unique in offering both breadth of engagement through the Common Curriculum
and disciplinary depth through the Specializations.
- The programme combines conceptual knowledge with practical engagement and understanding that
has relevant real world application. We do this through practical lab work, field work, workshops,
student research, projects and portfolio.
- The programme focuses on preparing reflective citizens, capable of meaningful engagement at work
and in society.
- The programme has an innovative teaching-learning methods and practices based on decade long
experience in the field of education.
11. How does Azim Premji University encourage diversity?
Student diversity is integral to equity in education and learning with a broader perspective. Our students are from across India, with linguistic, socio-economic and educational diversity. The University is deeply committed to having a diverse student profile and the admissions process is designed to attract applicants from diverse socio-economic backgrounds.
There is strong evidence that social background and origins are connected with poor representation
in institutions of higher education. The University recognizes the disadvantages caused by socially
created inequalities like a student’s gender, their family’s caste, religion, occupation, income,
education and so on. As part of its commitment to equity and justice, the University admission
process attempts to address these inequalities. Points are assigned to various aspects of the socio-
economic background of every applicant, which will be added up, to arrive at an overall socio-
economic ‘disadvantage score’ and this score is added to the score secured by them in the entrance
test and interview.
The information on socio-economic backgrounds, caste, religion etc., is sought in the application
form, only for purposes of estimating the score and compensating for social disadvantage. This
information is kept confidential by the University administration office.
12. Is the Undergraduate Programme a residential programme? Does the University provide student accommodation?
The Undergraduate Programme is conceived as a residential programme where all students would be staying in accommodation provided by the University on leased premises.
We see the residential life of students as an integral part of this programme. We believe that for our students, experiences at their residences are a significant part of their learning; to belong to a community and see how the space given to them is used to live and learn together. Accommodation will be provided on sharing basis, in different configurations.
13. What are the facilities provided to students at accommodation?
The facility is a gated compound with 24 x 7 security, and a dedicated administration and facilities
team. It has separate residential blocks for men and women, with a common dining area and
cafeteria. In addition to this, there are study spaces, common rooms, a gym, and a playground. It also
provides accommodation for resident faculty mentors. We have made arrangements with local
hospitals for emergency medical care as needed.
All accommodation is on sharing basis and each student will be provided with a bed and storage
space. You are advised to bring your own bedsheets, quilts and pillow covers; toiletries and towels;
medicines and other essentials. Since it is a sharing accommodation with limited space, please bring
only essential items.
14. What is the eligibility criteria to apply for the Undergraduate Programme?
The eligibility criteria to apply for the Undergraduate Programme is Class 12 / Pre University
certificate from any recognized Indian Board or any valid international certificate equivalent to Class
12. Applicants appearing for their final examinations by June 2019 are eligible to apply. Applicants
who have completed their Class 12 / Pre University board examination in 2018 are also eligible to
apply. Applicant should not be older than 19 years of age as on July 1, 2019 and should have
successfully completed 12th standard examination (or its equivalent) with a minimum of 50% marks.
The offer of admission is provisional till proof of successful completion of Class 12 / Pre University
study is provided.
15. What is the eligibility criteria to be a Karnataka Domicile?
to know the eligibility criteria to be a Karnataka domicile.
16. What are the eligibility criteria for foreign nationals and NRI’s to apply for the Undergraduate Programme at Azim Premji University?
The eligibility criterion for foreign nationals and NRIs to apply for Undergraduate Programme at Azim Premji University is certificate from any recognized Indian Board or any valid international certificate, equivalent to a Class 12.
17. Is there any age bar to apply for the Undergraduate Programme?
Yes. To apply for Undergraduate Programme at Azim Premji University, applicant should not be older
than 19 years of age as on July 1, 2019. If you had any break in between, please contact the
18. I am writing the Boards in April, 2019 but the application states that I must enter class XII
percentage. How can I apply?
Student who is appearing for board exams in 2019 , can apply for the Undergraduate programme
by entering predictive marks given by your school or your med semester marks.
19. Can I apply for more than one programme in the same application?
Candidates can apply for one or more programmes in the same application form by declaring the preference. Application fee of Rs. 300/- remains same whether you apply for one or more programmes. Only one application can be made, in either online or via offline. Duplicate application / applications made both online as well as offline are liable to be rejected.
20. I am unable to download the summary sheet, even after the Application fees is paid?
Once, the payment is made, check if there is any broken payment in the payment details tab and click on
the broken payment link which is available in the same tab. Once this is done, you will be able to
download the summary sheet.
21. I paid the money for the application process but my status is showing as incomplete.
After payment if applicant do not receive the 8 digit DU number from the bank, then the
application process is incomplete and will go in for refund process. The refund will take about 15
days and must be checked with your bank.
22. Do students have to declare their majors at the time of admission?
Students are expected to declare their preferred major at the time of application, as the selection process will happen accordingly.
23. Can I visit the campus? If so, when?
You can visit the Admissions Office at our Electronic City campus to understand more about the
programmes and Selection process. We will also be arranging Information sessions during the month
of November / December. The Undergraduate campus visits are normally scheduled for selected
candidates only. Schedule your visit to the Admissions Office here
24. Should students bring their own laptops?
Students must carry their own laptops to campus when they move in. Almost all courses require constant usage of laptops in the form of preparation for assignments, projects or thesis.
25. Do students have the options to pursue extra-curricular and co-curricular activities?
University is committed to engaging students outside of the classroom. We currently have several student-run clubs on campus, in addition to music, arts, dance, and sports opportunities. University also has a numbers of centres which offers students any support they may need in areas of their interest.
26. How can I check the status of my application?
After the completion of your online application form, you will receive an automated email saying that
your application has been completed. After the application submission, you will receive the admit
card 2 weeks prior to the national entrance test.
27. How do I communicate a change to the Admissions Team after I have submitted my application?
You can write to the admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org to communicate any changes
post submission of your application form. Please note that while some changes may be accepted,
there may be changes that might not be accepted as well post submission of the application form.
28. What is the application process like for a reapplicant?
You can apply only once to Azim Premji University within one admissions cycle (Early or Regular window) in one year. If an applicant chooses to apply to Azim Premji University in another year the application process remains the same as a fresh application form.
29. If I miss the deadline, can I still apply for financial aid?
If you miss the deadline, you can email the Admissions Team at email@example.com with your
request and reason(s) for missing the deadline. Your request will be passed on to our Financial Aid
team, which reserves the right to grant you permission to apply post the deadline.
30. What are the admission windows available for the Undergraduate Programme?
The Undergraduate Programme has two admission windows - Early Admissions and Regular Admissions
Early Admissions: Applicants seeking admission to this programme can benefit through Early
Admissions. Completed applications should reach the University by December 5, 2018. The entrance
test for Early admissions will be held on December 16, 2018. Applicants who successfully complete
the selection process in the Early Admissions will be offered provisional admissions by January 2019
and they are expected to pay non-refundable fee.
Regular Admissions: For applicants who would like to be considered for Regular Admissions, the
application form must be submitted by April, 2019. The written test will be held on May, 2019.
Please check the University website frequently for the latest announcements.
31. What is the difference between Early Admissions and Regular Admissions Window?
The selection process for Early Admissions and Regular Admissions will be the same. Applicants
seeking admissions to this programme can be benefit from an early decision on their application by
choosing Early Admissions window. Applicants who successfully completes the selection process in the Early Admissions will be offered a provisional admissions by January, 2019 and they are expected to pay tuition fee as per the fee policy of the University.
32. What is the application process for Undergraduate Programme?
Application forms for the Undergraduate Programme are available on the University website from September, 2018.
online: Applicant has to click on http://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/apply and register online with e-mail ID,
mobile number and date of birth. On successful registration, an email will be sent to the registered e-
mail ID with login credentials to access the form and complete it online.
Offline: Applicants can download the application form from the University website. The details on the form
can be hand written and sent to Admissions Office along with the Demand Draft in favour of “ Azim
Premji Foundation for Development” and photographs on or before the last date. The completed
application form should be mailed to:
Azim Premji University,
PES Campus, Pixel Park, B Block,
Electronics City, Hosur Road,
Bengaluru – 560100.
33. What is the application fee? What are the modes of payment?
An application form fee of Rs.300/- to be remitted in favour of Azim Premji Foundation for
Development either through SBI collect or Demand Draft.
|State Bank of India
(You can pay your application fee through SBI Collect using Debit
card/Credit card/ Net banking if making an online payment.
||To be drawn in favour of “Azim Premji Foundation for Development”
(You can download the offline application form and take a demand draft ,
at the nearest SBI branch)
34. What are the necessary documents to be submitted with the application form?
All applicants need to submit the following enclosures with their application forms.
For online application: (these can be scanned and uploaded)
- Recent passport size colour photograph taken within the last 6 months
For offline application:
- Recent passport size colour photograph taken within the last 6 months
- The original DD (mention the name and programme applied on the backside of the DD)
35. How can the Admissions Office at Azim Premji University be contacted?
36. What are the important dates of Undergraduate Programme admissions for 2019-22?
| Admission Process
|| Early Admission
|| Regular Admission
|Application form uploaded
| September, 2018
|Last Date for Online form submission
||December 5, 2018
||December 16, 2018
|Announcement of Entrance
|Announcement of Selection
|Commencement of Class
Note: The dates mentioned above are tentative and subject to revision.
37. What is the selection process for the Undergraduate Programme?
The selection process for the Undergraduate Programme includes an entrance test and a personal interview.
Entrance Test: Applicants will have to appear for an entrance test that will assess the English
language capacities and quantitative capacities.
Personal Interview: Applicants shortlisted on the basis of their performance in the entrance test will
be called for a personal interview.
38. Where will the Entrance Test and Interview be conducted for Early Admission and Regular
Admission? Where will the test centre information be available?
The Entrance Test and Interview is conducted at different location across India. The details are
mentioned in the table below: On receipt of your application form complete in all respects, an admit
card will be generated. Admit card will be uploaded on the website which will give you the details of
your test and interview centre.
| Entrance Test Centres
|| Personal Interview Centres
| Entrance Test Centres
|| Personal Interview Centres
Click here to know about your test and interview venue.
39. Where to find the Sample Paper of admission test for reference?
Click here to download the Sample Paper of admissions test.
SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test)
40. I have applied for the SAT examination this year, do I also need to appear for the Azim Premji
University, National Entrance Test?
The Applicant can choose to apply either through SAT score OR appear for Azim Premji University
National Entrance Test. Any ONE is mandatory. The Applicant also have the option to apply through
both – SAT score and Azim Premji University National Entrance Test.
41. How do I apply, if I am appearing for SAT and also want to appear for the National Entrance test?
While filling the Online Application form, select the button “YES” if you are appearing for SAT. In the
Test Center Field, select any of the Test center in the first and second preference, if you also want to
appear for the University National Entrance Test.
In case you DO NOT want to appear for the University National Entrance Test, select “Appearing for SAT”
from the dropdown option.
42. What is the cut-off applicable for the SAT appearing Candidates?
Cut off score for SAT will be decided later in line with our shortlisting criteria for UG admissions.
Fees & Financial Assistance
43. What is the fee structure for the Undergraduate Programme 2019-22?
Click here to know the fee structure of the programme.
44. What is the financial assistance offered by Azim Premji University for the Undergraduate Programme?
Azim Premji University has an explicit commitment to build an inclusive and diverse student body. We
offer need-based scholarships (full and partial) to cover the tuition fee and accommodation.
Family income bands of up to 12 lakhs per annum will be considered for various categories of
scholarship. While family income is an important criterion in deciding the quantum of scholarship,
other socio-economic factors and circumstances will also be considered in scholarship decisions.
Students requesting financial assistance should provide all the information requested in the Financial
The University reserves the right to award or reject financial assistance and its decisions will be final
Types of Scholarship
- Full waiver of Tuition fee, Accommodation and Food charges in exceptional circumstances
- Full or Partial waiver of Tuition fee and Accommodation charge
- Partial waiver of Tuition fee
45. What is the process of application for financial assistance offered by Azim Premji University?
Azim Premji University has an explicit commitment to build an inclusive and diverse student body. We offer extensive need-based scholarships (full and partial) to cover the Tuition Fee, Accommodation and Food charges.
Process of application for financial assistance as mentioned below;
- Scholarship application: Applicants applying for Financial Assistance should fill in the Financial Assistance application form in full. The consent of the parent / guardian is required on the application form.
- Financial counselling: The University will conduct financial counselling during the interview process, to further understand and assess student needs. Parent or Guardians should be present for this.
- Applicants applying for financial assistance should furnish the supporting documents
required at the time of interview. Applications from Applicants who delay submission / do
not provide required supporting documentation will not be considered. Hence, applicants are
advised to start collecting the documentation required, as soon as they apply for admissions.
- Financial support applications after joining the programme will not be considered.
46. What are the supporting documents required to apply for financial assistance at Azim Premji University?
The University will require documentation to support the application for scholarship.
The following mandatory documents required pertain to the applicant’s parents / guardian:
|Income Tax Payers
(Salaried or Self Employed)
|Non Income Tax Payers
|Three year IT returns (Current + past two years
- FY 2017-18, 2016-17 and 2015-16)
|Income certificate issued by the appropriate
Government authority (Issued not earlier
than October, 2018)
|Bank pass book showing transactions from
April 2017 to date
||Bank pass book showing transactions from
April 2017 to date
|Receipt of School Fees paid for the past two
||Receipt of School Fees paid for the past two
Other optional documents (These documents would help the verification process):
- BPL Card where applicable
- If opened an account under Jan-Dhan Yojana, please provide the pass book
- Latest salary slip of salaried members of family (parents / guardian)
- Form 16 issued by employer of salaried members of family (parents / guardian)
- Form 16A issued by any entity providing details of income from profession
- Certificate from school with respect to school fee
- Proof of scholarship awarded for prior study (Certificate, letter, etc.)
Based on an initial verification of these documents, the University may ask for other documentation on a case to case basis. The University will do an independent validation and conduct background verification to ensure that the scholarships are provided to deserving candidates. Its decision in this regard will be final. In case the documentation provided to the University is found to be incorrect / falsified in any manner, any time during the programme, the University reserves the right to withdraw scholarship / admission offer and recover financial support provided.
Career Opportunities & Placement Support
47. What are the future prospects available for students after completing the Undergraduate studies from the University?
The Undergraduate Programme is designed to open up an unusually wide and rich range of future options for students.
The undergraduate programme at Azim Premji University emphasizes and nurtures fundamental capabilities of critical thinking, analytical reasoning and communication. These abilities along with disciplinary understanding in the students’ chosen area of interest will provide a strong foundation that can open up variety of opportunities for our students.
It is well-recognized that success and effectiveness in a job, profession or future study depend on the ability to work cooperatively in organizations and groups. These require interpersonal, ethical and social abilities and that is what our Undergraduate Programme aims to do - help young adults learn with understanding, and be reflective individuals capable of engaged citizenship.
We anticipate that our graduates will have several opportunities for employment and higher education. This may range from working in the business sector or social sectors like development and education or even entrepreneurship. We also foresee some of our students continuing to pursue higher studies either at Azim Premji University or elsewhere.