Today, there are thousands of young people working in various sectors who are keen to contribute to social change in a meaningful way. There is a growing need in the social sector for professionals with academic preparation and capabilities for social action. Azim Premji University Postgraduate Programme is an excellent option for candidates to transition from corporate to the social sector.
Applications are invited from Working Professionals for the following full time postgraduate programmes. Last date to Apply- 22 November 2019, Entrance test – 8 December 2019, Interview – January 2020, Offer letter- February 2020 and classes commencement- July 2020.
Master of Arts (M.A.) Education
M.A. Education prepares students to the complex demands and imperatives for working in the education sector.
They can look forward to roles in organizations working in the implementation of educational interventions,
design and development of school teaching-learning materials, teacher education, research in education etc.
Click here to know more about the career opportunities in Education sector
Master of Arts (M.A.) Development
M.A. Development Programme offers students a broad understanding of India’s development challenges and capabilities
to address these challenges. They can look forward to a variety of roles that work in the domains of Livelihood,
public health, urban issues, sustainability, energy, natural resource management etc.
Click here to know more about the career opportunities in Development sector
Master of Arts (M.A.) Public Policy and Governance
The M.A. Public Policy and Governance (MPG) Programme is a highly practical and applied postgraduate programme
grounded in social sciences, humanities and law, which will equip students with critical perspectives and technical
competencies required to engage with the real world of governance.
Read more about M.A. in Public Policy and Governance
Click here to know more about the career opportunities in Public policy
We aim to provide an educational experience that builds good understanding of the domain, deep social commitment, capabilities for action and a Career in the Social Sector.
- Guaranteed 50% waiver on Tuition-fee for candidates with more than 3 years of work experience
- Additional scholarships offered based on other financial criteria
** For candidates with 2 years + experience after graduation
For all candidates
Last date to apply
22 November 2019
22 January 2020
Entrance test date
8 December 2019
8 February 2020
Academic session starts
** We are providing a chance to candidates with work experience to go through the selection process much early so that they get enough time to decide and plan for the academic journey starting from July 2020.
This is for M.A. Education, M.A. Development and M.A. Public Policy and Governance.
University will also organise additional rounds / accept other test scores for admissions.
Career path in Social Sector
The social sector today offers a variety of exciting career opportunities for students with a desire
to contribute to the development of the country. The sector includes:
- Non-Governmental organization (NGO’s), social enterprises, community based organization, civil society groups, funding agencies
- Private sector (consultancies, CSR departments, development banks)
- Academic bodies, Think-tanks/research groups
- Public or government sector
- Bilateral and multilateral agencies (example- UNO)
Social sector needs
Project management/Administration functionaries-
For effective Project implementation and direction, Direct community engagement, technical advice, coordination with donor agency/local government, budgeting and project reports
Technical resources -
Domain specialists and experts who can contribute in School Education, Curriculum design, Assessment, Teacher Education, Early childhood education, Water/Sanitation/Hygiene (WASH), Public health, Livelihoods, Legal reform, Housing and Infrastructure development, Urban Governance, Climate Change, Policy etc.
At think-tanks, Consultants, Universities.
In addition, social entrepreneurs capable of innovative thinking are needed to ideate, create and implement
path-breaking solutions to social problems.
Your work experience is important
The University values the work experience students bring, for many reasons:
- Students with work experience bring a diverse range of views and ideas, based on their personal and work life experience, that add to the richness of classroom experience. Such sharing is an important part of learning at the University.
- The work experience helps them guide other students with no prior experience, both academically as well as personally. This mentoring is very useful for students who are fresh out of college.
- Many elective courses offered are sectoral or theme based and students with work experience contribute to these through their skills and knowledge from their past work.
- There are multiple roles in social sectors that demands prior work experience and such students with postgraduate degree from Azim Premji University can look forward to challenging opportunities.
The University has an excellent placement record so far. All these career opportunities are well compensated and probably much more challenging and personally satisfying than opportunities in other sectors.
Listen to Anil Loyston Misquith and Sruthi Kutty who made their transition to Social Sector. Both of them graduated on 2019.
- Over 1700 students, in seven batches have graduated and almost all of them are currently engaged with the social sector, placed through the campus placement process. More than 90 organisations visit the campus for placements.
- The average salary for campus placements is in the range of Rs. 25000 – 30000 per month. Students with prior experience get higher compensation.
- Many students also decide to pursue fellowships/ do higher studies in their area of interest.
- The University also has an active social enterprise cell, that encourages students to be entrepreneurs. Click here to know more about social enterprises and organisation founded by our Alumni.
Facilitating admissions for students with work experience
- We provide additional weightage in the interview process for applicants with work experience.
- The University provides extensive scholarships in the form of fee waiver, both for tuition fees and accommodation and food charges. The scholarships are based on the family’s income and not on the current earning of the student.
- Applicants with more than 3 years of work experience after graduation receive a guaranteed 50% Tuition-fee waiver.
- Educational loans are also facilitated by the University. The loans cover all expenses – tuition, accommodation and food charges. Students may take a full loan or part loan to pay for the expenses not covered by the scholarships.
- Using a combination of scholarships and loans, it is possible for students to fully pay for their course expenses.
- In addition, a limited number of project based assistantships are available on campus, where students work 10-12 hours per week and are paid monthly. This is particularly useful for students to support their day to day expenses.
Click here to know more
We look forward to welcome committed students who can significantly
contribute to a just, equitable, humane and sustainable society.