Today, there are thousands of young people working in various sectors who are keen to contribute to social change in a meaningful way. There is a growing need in the social sector for professionals with academic preparation and capabilities for social action. Azim Premji University Postgraduate Programme is an excellent option for candidates to transition from corporate to the social sector.
The University values the work experience students bring, for many reasons:
- Students with work experience bring a diverse range of views and ideas, based on their personal and work life experience, that add to the richness of classroom experience. Such sharing is an important part of learning at the University.
- Many elective courses offered are sectoral or theme based and students with work experience contribute to these through their skills and knowledge from their past work.
- There are multiple roles in social development sector that demands prior work experience and such students with postgraduate degree from Azim Premji University can look forward to challenging opportunities.
The social sector today offers a variety of exciting career opportunities for students with a desire
to contribute to the development of the country. The sector includes:
- Non-Governmental organization (NGO’s), social enterprises, community based organization, civil society groups, funding agencies
- Private sector (consultancies, CSR departments, development banks)
- Academic bodies, Think-tanks/research groups
- Public or government sector
- Bilateral and multilateral agencies (example- UNO)
Project management/Administration functionaries-
For effective Project implementation and direction, Direct community engagement, technical advice, coordination with donor agency/local government, budgeting and project reports
Technical resources -
Domain specialists and experts who can contribute in School Education, Curriculum design, Assessment, Teacher Education, Early childhood education, Water/Sanitation/Hygiene (WASH), Public health, Livelihoods, Legal reform, Housing and Infrastructure development, Urban Governance, Climate Change, Policy etc.
At think-tanks, Consultants, Universities.
In addition, social entrepreneurs capable of innovative thinking are needed to ideate, create and implement
path-breaking solutions to social problems.
The University has an excellent placement record so far. All these career opportunities are well compensated and probably much more challenging and personally satisfying than opportunities in other sectors.
Listen to Anil Loyston Misquith and Sruthi Kutty who made their transition to Social Sector. Both of them graduated on 2019.
- Over 1700 students, in seven batches have graduated and almost all of them are currently engaged with the social sector, placed through the campus placement process. More than 90 organisations visit the campus for placements.
- The average salary for campus placements is in the range of Rs. 25000 – 30000 per month. Students with prior experience get higher compensation.
- Many students also decide to pursue fellowships/ do higher studies in their area of interest.
The University also has an active social enterprise cell, that encourages students to be entrepreneurs. Click here
to know more about social enterprises and organisation founded by our Alumni.