Azim Premji University’s charter includes Knowledge creation and establishing domain knowledge, in various areas to help engage in issues related to theoretical and practical concerns in education and development. This would mean both intensive work – deeper in relevant disciplines – and extensive work – covering multiple disciplines.
The contribution of Philosophy of Education (PoE) to the understanding of and decision making in education, from classroom practices to policy making is well recognized and hardly needs arguing for. But any discourse on PoE or engagement with the philosophical underpinnings of educational theory and practice, is notable only by its absence in India.
The Philosophy of Education Unit is conceptualized with the objective of generating interest and establishing rigor in Philosophy of Education in India. This comprises the following areas of work
- Education and development of a cadre of thinkers and educationists in PoE. This will be done through fulltime and short-term courses in PoE and other eventually other branches of Philosophy.
- Philosophical analysis of current work and thoughts on Indian education through exploratory papers.
- Connecting the University with an international community of individuals, universities working in PoE and initiating collaborative work with them.
- Development and dissemination of ideas
- Research, publication of papers and dissemination of ideas
- Connecting Indian philosophy to contemporary Indian thought and exploring the possibility of developing an Indian philosophy of education
- Developing forms of practice which stem from rigorous engagement in theory