Nigam Nuggehalli teaches in the School of Policy and Governance at Azim Premji University.
Prior to joining Azim Premji University, Nigam was a senior academic teaching on the LL.M. Programme at BPP University, London, United Kingdom, for several years. Nigam's expertise and research interests are in legal and political philosophy, commercial law and tax law. He has led a team of academics in delivering undergraduate programmes in jurisprudence and post graduate programmes in commercial law and international tax law. Nigam also taught tax law (income tax and excise laws) at the National Law School of India University (NLSIU) in 2003-4. Prior to that, Nigam was an international tax lawyer working in New York, USA. Nigam worked as an associate at the New York office of a Canadian law firm and worked on cross-border tax issues.
- DPhil - Oxford University, United Kingdom
- BCL - Oxford University, United Kingdom
- LLM (Taxation) -New York University, USA
- LLM (International Economic Law) -Queen's University, Canada
- B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Law)- National Law School of India University, Bangalore, India.
Areas of Interest
Political and Legal Philosophy, Institutional Leadership, Tax Law and Policy, Comparative Tax Law and Anti-Money Laundering systems
Legal and political philosophy, Regulation of financial crime
Tax law and Policy, Legal and political philosophy
Publications and Writings
- India-Mauritius Tax Protocol Marks a Changing Zeitgeist Nigam Nuggehalli, May 17, 2016
- Manmade Disasters: Civil Society Oversight as an Alternative to Punishment Nigam Nuggehalli, May 03, 2016
- Hardik Patel and the Irrelevance of Sedition in Post-1947 India, Nigam Nuggehalli, the quint, April 21, 2016
- Just the tip of the money-laundering iceberg: Nigam Nuggehalli, Business Standard, April 13, 2016
- Do We Really Need a Sedition Law?, Nigam Nuggehalli, The Wire, Feb 15, 2016
- Why a Criminal Case Is Not the Answer to Rohith's Tragic Death, Nigam Nuggehalli, The Wire, Jan 22, 2016
- 'Exchange of Information under the Switzerland-India Double Taxation Agreement: what are India's options?' (2014) 35 The Company Lawyer, Issue 3, 89
- 'Artful Dodges in Swiss Tax Pacts', Business Standard, October 30, 2013, available online
- 'Moral Force', Business Standard, February 13, 2013, available online
- 'Who will guard the GAAR', Business Standard, August 12, 2012, available online
Chapter on Indian contract law in Vol. 2 Studies in the Contract Laws of Asia: Contract