1. What are the Undergraduate Degrees offered at Azim Premji University?
The Undergraduate Programme offered at Azim Premji University are:
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) with specializations in the Sciences (Biology or Physics), Social Sciences (Economics) and Humanities
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Honours and Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Honours with specializations in the Sciences (Biology or Physics), Social Sciences(Economics) and Humanities
2. Are the Undergraduate Degrees recognized by the UGC?
Azim Premji University is established in Karnataka by the Azim Premji University Act 2010 as a not for-profit University. The Undergraduate Programme offered by the University are recognized by The University Grants Commission (UGC) under section 22.
3. Does Azim Premji University offer its Undergraduate Programme in distance learning mode?
No, the Undergraduate Programme at Azim Premji University is a three - year, full time, residential programme based in Bengaluru.
4. What is the medium of instruction for the Undergraduate Programme at the University?
The medium of instruction for Undergraduate Programme at the University is English.
5. What is the Undergraduate Programme curriculum?
The Undergraduate Programme has two components - Common Curriculum and Specializations.
The Common Curriculum brings all the students in the programme together to study areas and themes that we believe are necessary to make learning effective, rich and satisfying.
Common Curriculum has 3 components - Foundations, Creative Expressions and Understanding India
- Foundations : Critical thinking, reasoning and effective communication
- Creative Expressions : Art, Music, Craft, Theatre, Sports and other creative expressions
- Understanding India: India’s history, language, culture and society through interdisciplinary study
Majors and Minors help build disciplinary knowledge and appreciate the excitement of a subject and its applications. Emphasis is on active and participative learning. Discussions, research projects and field visits are an important part of the curriculum.
Specializations are offered in the Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities
Sciences: Build a deeper understanding of the natural world and an appreciation of how this understanding created today’s technology. Majors are offered in Physics and Biology.
Social Sciences: Explore the nature of collective life, its impact on individuals and the ways in which societies are organized and structured. Major offered in Economics.
Humanities: An exploration of the diversity and richness of human history, thought and experience. This Major comprises courses in History, Language & Literature and Philosophy.
Minors: Data Sciences, Development and Sustainability, Education, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Economics and Humanities.
(The University does not guarantee that every student will be able to register for a particular Minor of his/her choice. We will help students choose Minors based on our evaluation of the student’s interests, academic needs and available course)
6. What is the typical daily class schedule at Azim Premji University for Undergraduate Programme?
While there are classroom sessions scheduled during the day, the programme has several other activities – both academic and non-academic- planned out through the day and very often in the evenings too. Every semester has a fixed schedule that includes classroom interactions, tutorials, meetings with faculty and mentors, time for sports, creative pursuits, guest lectures and seminars. Students also spend time on field projects and internship based on their Majors and academic needs.
Apart from allowing for deeper academic engagement, we believe that for our students, experiences at their residences are a significant part of their learning; to belong to a community and see how the space given to them is used to live and learn together.
7. Where are the details available about the Faculty who teach in this Programme?
The University currently has a faculty team of over 100, more than 60% of them with doctoral degrees and with diverse experience in teaching, research and field work within India and abroad. Many faculty members have personally contributed to the social sphere and their work has been on the cutting edge of education and development policy, research and practice.
The faculty at Azim Premji University forms a close-knit community, which provides students with many opportunities to get involved and work together on several projects during the three year’s programme.
Detailed faculty profiles are available at http://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/SitePages/school-of-liberal-studies-faculty.aspx
8. How are the Undergraduate Programme offered at Azim Premji University different from other similar programmes available at Universities and colleges across the country?
- The programme is unique in offering both breadth of engagement through the Common Curriculum and disciplinary depth through the Specializations.
- The programme combines conceptual knowledge with practical engagement and understanding that has relevant real world application. We do this through practical lab work, field work, workshops, student research, projects and portfolio.
- The programme focuses on preparing reflective citizens, capable of meaningful engagement at work and in society.
- The programme has an innovative teaching-learning methods and practices based on decade long experience in the field of education.
9. How does Azim Premji University encourage diversity?
Student diversity is integral to equity in education and learning with a broader perspective. Our students are from across India, with linguistic, socio-economic and educational diversity. The University is deeply committed to having a diverse student profile and the admissions process is designed to attract applicants from diverse socio-economic backgrounds.
There is strong evidence that social background and origins are connected with poor representation in institutions of higher education. The University recognizes the disadvantages caused by socially created inequalities like a student’s gender, their family’s caste, religion, occupation, income, education and so on. As part of its commitment to equity and justice, the University admission process attempts to address these inequalities. Points are assigned to various aspects of the socio-economic background of every applicant, which will be added up, to arrive at an overall socio-economic ‘disadvantage score’ and this score is added to the score secured by them in the entrance test and interview.
The information on socio-economic backgrounds, caste, religion etc., is sought in the application form, only for purposes of estimating the score and compensating for social disadvantage. This information is kept confidential by the University administration office.
10. Is the Undergraduate Programme a residential programme? Does the University provide student accommodation?
The Undergraduate Programme is conceived as a residential programme where all students would be staying in accommodation provided by the University on leased premises.
We see the residential life of students as an integral part of this programme. We believe that for our students, experiences at their residences are a significant part of their learning; to belong to a community and see how the space given to them is used to live and learn together. Accommodation will be provided on sharing basis, in different configurations.
11. What are the facilities provided to students at accommodation?
The facility is a gated compound with 24 x 7 security, and a dedicated administration and facilities team. It has separate residential blocks for men and women, with a common dining area and cafeteria. In addition to this, there are study spaces, common rooms, a gym, and a playground. It also provides accommodation for resident faculty mentors. We have made arrangements with local hospitals for emergency medical care as needed.
The University will provide transportation, when needed, between the undergraduate residences and the University Campus on Hosur road. All accommodation is on sharing basis and each student will be provided with a bed and storage space. You are advised to bring your own bedsheets, quilts and pillow covers; toiletries and towels; medicines and other essentials. Since it is a sharing accommodation with limited space, please bring only essential items.
12. What is the eligibility criteria to apply for the Undergraduate Programme?
The eligibility criteria to apply for the Undergraduate Programme is Class 12 / Pre University certificate from any recognized Indian Board or any valid international certificate equivalent to Class 12. Applicants appearing for their final examinations by June 2017 are eligible to apply.
Applicants who have completed their Class 12 / Pre University board examination in 2016 are also eligible to apply. Applicant should not be older than 19 years of age as on July 1, 2017 and should have successfully completed 12th standard examination (or its equivalent) with a minimum of 50% marks.
The offer of admission is provisional till proof of successful completion of Class 12 / Pre University study is provided.
13. What is the eligibility criteria to be a Karnataka Domicile?
to know the eligibility criteria to be a Karnataka domicile.
14. What are the eligibility criteria for foreign nationals and NRI’s to apply for the Undergraduate Programme at Azim Premji University?
The eligibility criterion for foreign nationals and NRI’s to apply for Undergraduate Programme at Azim Premji University is certificate from any recognized Indian Board or any valid international certificate, equivalent to a Class 12.
15. Is there any age bar to apply for the Undergraduate Programme?
Yes. To apply for Undergraduate Programme at Azim Premji University, applicant should not be older than 19 years of age as on 1 July, 2017.
16. What are the admission windows available for the Undergraduate Programme?
The Undergraduate Programme has two admission windows – Early Admissions and Regular Admissions
Early Admissions: Applicants seeking admission to this programme can benefit through Early Admissions. Completed applications should reach the University by December 10, 2016. The entrance test for Early admissions will be held on December 18, 2016. Applicants who successfully complete the selection process in the Early Admissions will be offered provisional admissions by January 2017 and they are expected to pay non-refundable fee.
Regular Admissions: For applicants who would like to be considered for Regular Admissions, the application form must be submitted by April, 2017. The written test will be held on May 8, 2017.
Please check the University website frequently for the latest announcements.
17. What is the difference between Early Admissions and Regular Admissions Window?
The selection process for Early Admissions and Regular Admissions will be the same. Applicants seeking admissions to this programme can be benefit from an early decision on their application by choosing Early Admissions window. Applicants who are successfully completes the selection process in the Early Admissions will be offered a provisional admissions by January 2017 and they are expected to pay non-refundable tuition fee.
18. What is the application process for Undergraduate Programme?
Application forms for the Undergraduate Programme are available on the University website from mid of September, 2016.
online: Applicant has to click on http://azimpremjiuniversity.edu.in/apply and register online with e-mail ID, mobile number and date of birth. On successful registration, an email will be sent to the registered e-mail ID with login credentials to access the form and complete it online.
Offline: Applicants can download the application form from the University website. The details on the form can be hand written and sent to Admissions Office along with the Demand Draft in favour of “ Azim Premji Foundation for Development” and photographs on or before the last date. The completed application form should be mailed to:
Admissions Office, Azim Premji University, PES Campus, Pixel Park, B Block, Electronics City, Hosur Road, Bengaluru - 560100.
19. What is the application fee? What are the modes of payment?
An application form fee of Rs.200/- to be remitted in favour of Azim Premji Foundation for Development either through SBI collect or Demand Draft.
|State Bank of India
(You can pay your application fee through SBI Collect using Debit card/Credit card/ Net banking if making an online payment or in case of offline, download the e-challan and pay at the nearest SBI branch)
||To be drawn in favour of "Azim Premji Foundation for Development"
20. What are the necessary documents to be submitted with the application form?
All applicants need to submit the following enclosures with their application forms. In case of online submissions, these can be scanned and uploaded:
- Two recent passport size colour photograph taken within the last 6 months
- The original DD (mention the name and programme applied on the backside of the DD)
21. How can the Admissions Office at Azim Premji University be contacted?
22. What are the important dates of Undergraduate Programme admissions for 2017-20?
| Admission Process
|| Early Admission
|| Regular Admission
|Application form uploaded
| Mid of September, 2016
|Last Date for Online form submission
|Announcement of Entrance test Results
|Announcement of Selection
|| January, 2017
|Commencement of Class
Note: The dates mentioned above are tentative and subject to revision.
23. What is the selection process for the Undergraduate Programme?
The selection process for the Undergraduate Programme includes an entrance test and a personal interview.
Entrance Test: Applicants will have to appear for an entrance test that will assess the English language capacities and quantitative capacities.
Personal Interview: Applicants shortlisted on the basis of their performance in the entrance test will be called for a personal interview.
24. Where will the Entrance Test and Interview be conducted for Early Admission and Regular Admission? Where will the test centre information be available?
The Entrance Test and Interview is conducted at different location across India. The details are mentioned in the table below: On receipt of your application form complete in all respects, an admit card will be generated. Admit card will be uploaded on the website which will give you the details of your test and interview centre.
|Entrance Test Centres
| Early Admissions
|| Regular Admissions
|Personal Interview Centres
| Early Admissions
|| Regular Admissions
Click here to know about your test and interview venue.
25. Where to find the Sample Paper of admission test for reference?
Click here to download the Sample Paper of admissions test.
Fees & Financial Assistance
26. What is the fee structure for the Undergraduate Programme?
Fee structure for 2016-19 is as follows:
|CATEGORY OF FEE (IN RUPEES)
||PER YEAR (2 SEMESTERS)
||Estimated at Rs. 50,000*
* Charges for food may undergo a revision on quarterly basis.
- This fee is applicable for the Undergraduate Programme at the University.
- There is no other fee or deposit charged for library, laboratory, IT facilities, examinations, books, etc.
- Accommodation charges include charges for transport between the University and the accommodation, internet connectivity, other facilities provided at the accommodation.
- Accommodation and food facilities are provided only during the semester and will not be available during the breaks and vacations.
- Students are covered under the student insurance scheme at no additional cost.
- Fee excludes out-of-pocket personal expenses students may incur.
27. What is the financial assistance offered by Azim Premji University for the Undergraduate Programme?
Azim Premji University has an explicit commitment to build an inclusive and diverse student body. We offer need-based scholarships (full and partial) to cover the tuition fee and accommodation.
Family income bands of up to 12 lakhs per annum will be considered for various categories of scholarship. While family income is an important criterion in deciding the quantum of scholarship, other socio-economic factors and circumstances will also be considered in scholarship decisions. Students requesting financial assistance should provide all the information requested in the Financial Assistance form.
The University reserves the right to award or reject financial assistance and its decisions will be final and binding.
Types of Scholarship
- Full waiver of Tuition fee, Accommodation and Food charges in exceptional circumstances
- Full or Partial waiver of Tuition fee and Accommodation charge
- Partial waiver of Tuition fee
- The University will facilitate Education loans, through tie ups with banks. Students getting scholarship have the option of availing loans for the balance amount not covered by scholarships.
- Non-scholarship students also can avail bank loans. These are open to all family income bands.
- Students can apply for loan to cover tuition, accommodation and food charges. The actual loan amount to avail can be decided by students, parents / guardians.
- In the case of students availing education loans, all documentation required by the bank should be provided by the students / parents / guardians. While University will assist the student in the loan process, University does not take responsibility for the sanction / disbursement of the loan. The final decision on the loan rests with the bank.
- However, students are responsible to pay the tuition fees, student accommodation or any other amounts to the University on such due dates as communicated by the University.
28. What is the process of application for financial assistance offered by Azim Premji University?
Azim Premji University has an explicit commitment to build an inclusive and diverse student body. We offer extensive need-based scholarships (full and partial) to cover the Tuition Fee, Accommodation and Food charges.
Process of application for financial assistance as mentioned below;
- Scholarship application: Applicants applying for Financial Assistance should fill in the Financial Assistance application form in full. The consent of the parent / guardian is required on the application form.
- Financial counselling: The University will conduct financial counselling during the interview process, to further understand and assess student needs. Parent or Guardians should be present for this.
- Applicants applying for financial assistance should furnish the supporting documents required at the time of interview. Applications from Applicants who delay submission / do not provide required supporting documentation will not be considered. Hence, applicants are advised to start collecting the documentation required, as soon as they apply for admissions.
- Financial support applications after joining the programme will not be considered.
29. What are the supporting documents required to apply for financial assistance at Azim Premji University?
The University will require documentation to support the application for scholarship.
The following mandatory documents required pertain to the applicant’s parents / guardian:
|Income Tax Payers
(Salaried or Self Employed)
|Non Income Tax Payers
|Three year IT returns (Current + past two years
- FY 2015-16, 2014-15 and 2013-14)
|Income certificate issued by the
appropriate Government authority (Issued
not earlier than October, 2016)
|Bank pass book showing transactions
of last one year (Jan – 2016 to till date)
|Bank pass book showing transactions
of last one year (Jan – 2016 to till date)
|Receipt of School Fees paid for the past
|Receipt of School Fees paid for the past
Other optional documents (These documents would help the verification process):
- BPL Card where applicable
- If opened an account under Jan-Dhan Yojana, please provide the pass book
- Latest salary slip of salaried members of family (parents / guardian)
- Form 16 issued by employer of salaried members of family (parents / guardian)
- Form 16A issued by any entity providing details of income from profession
- Certificate from school with respect to school fee
- Proof of scholarship awarded for prior study (Certificate, letter, etc.)
Based on an initial verification of these documents, the University may ask for other documentation on a case to case basis. The University will do an independent validation and conduct background verification to ensure that the scholarships are provided to deserving candidates. Its decision in this regard will be final. In case the documentation provided to the University is found to be incorrect / falsified in any manner, any time during the programme, the University reserves the right to withdraw scholarship / admission offer and recover financial support provided.
Career Opportunities & Placement Support
30. What are the future prospects available for students after completing the Undergraduate studies from the University?
The Undergraduate Programme is designed to open up an unusually wide and rich range of future options for students.
The undergraduate programme at Azim Premji University emphasizes and nurtures fundamental capabilities of critical thinking, analytical reasoning and communication. These abilities along with disciplinary understanding in the students’ chosen area of interest will provide a strong foundation that can open up variety of opportunities for our students.
It is well-recognized that success and effectiveness in a job, profession or future study depend on the ability to work cooperatively in organizations and groups. These require interpersonal, ethical and social abilities and that is what our Undergraduate Programme aims to do - help young adults learn with understanding, and be reflective individuals capable of engaged citizenship.
We anticipate that our graduates will have several opportunities for employment and higher education. This may range from working in the business sector or social sectors like development and education or even entrepreneurship. We also foresee some of our students continuing to pursue higher studies either at Azim Premji University or elsewhere.